Thursday, January 24, 2019

When the Magnificient Becomes Mundane

I'll give you a sneak peak at my sermon for this Sunday. I will be wrapping up my series on Kingdom Seekers with Passion. Passion is always fleeting. Everything in our lives can become mundane if we allow it. Imagine the scientists on the International Space Station. What must it be like to view our globe from 240 miles above the surface. At first, I think they would be glued to the window, but after a few months, the passing planet below might barely get a second glance.

Even spiritual things like the reading God's word or church attendance or even our Daniel Fast can become mundane. We fall into a pattern and things become routine. It's a good thing to develop the habit of reading God's word. But, when it is just a habit, it ceases to be life giving. To keep our passion for God's word fresh, we must not just read it, we must study it, meditate on it.  I can promise you that every chapter of the Bible has fresh revelation waiting for you to uncover.

Passion drives us. It motivates us. It keeps us going. But, passion is the missing element in a lot of marriages. It's also sadly missing in a lot of churches and in a lot of Christians. The sad thing that almost every important thing in our life begins with passion. Then the fire dims and we fall into a mundane existence and lose the exhilaration. (just like those scientists on the ISS)

So how do we keep passion alive? I guess you'll have to come Sunday to find out!

Keep the flame burning!

Pastor Dale

4 comments:

  1. Good read and good teaser for Sunday message. As I read your comments, I kept thinking of my backyard fire pit. The moment the fire dims I must react to stoke the fire. It requires action on my part. Lord give us the breath from your lungs to fuel the passion in our lives. Help me react in time so my fire never dims...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I study and meditate on the Word God will open my eyes to some truth that I hadn't seen before. That seems to ignite my passion for the Word even more. My prayer is that our church body will experience that passion for the Word more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 73:25-26 ESV-
    Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psalm 73:25-26 ESV -

    Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever

    ReplyDelete