Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Pray Without Ceasing

Prayer is one of the most mysterious disciplines we practice in our spiritual life.  We're just three days into the Daniel Fast and if you are not praying a little more, you are missing out.  In the scriptures we read about prayers that are answered instantly and prayer that takes ten, twelve, even fifteen years to get answered.  We read in the New Testament that our prayers are stored up in a heaven, seemingly in some golden bowl.  Paul instructs us to "Pray without ceasing".  Is that even possible?

Now add to all that the fact that God is sovereign.  His plans and purposes for man will get accomplished whether we pray or not!  Because you see, if God depended on our prayers, He would not be Omnipotent.  It would be a weird mixture of my prayers and His strength that accomplish His will on earth.  So how do we reconcile all these thoughts into our prayer life?  I do not understand all the ramifications of my prayers but there are simply too many scriptures that compel and command us to pray.  Jesus said, "When you pray", not if you pray.  We are told to pray without ceasing.  We are given examples of prayers that God answered. So was God going to answer our prayer anyway and we just happened to get lucky enough to pray the exact prayer He was going to answer?  It is a little overwhelming when you thing about it.  But here's what I know about prayer.

1. Your prayers matter.
The disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray, and He did. Cornelius' prayers were stored up in heaven.  In Revelation, all the prayers of the saints are stored.  So never stop praying!

2. Your prayers make a difference
2 Chron. 7:14 is the famous "If my people" verse.  It tells us if we pray, God will do something. We don't always know what that "something" is, but prayer moves the hand of God

3. Your prayers are a declaration of your faith in God.
Let's face it.  If you really had no faith whatsoever that your prayers would be heard and answered, you simply would not pray.  But every prayer has some faith in it.  It may be weak faith or small faith, but it is faith none the less.  Sometimes we pray these bold, confidant prayers.  Sometimes we pray these timid, questioning prayers.  But, I just encourage you to keep praying.

God hears your prayers and He understands you are putting your trust in Him.  I believe that is why He answers our prayer.  He is looking for faith, however small, however wavering.  He is just pleased when He finds it.  So make sure you add a few extra prayers during the Daniel Fast. You might just be surprised what a few words, whispered to our heavenly Father will accomplish.

Keep praying!


2 comments:

  1. What draws me to prayer is knowing that God hears me and that He answers me. I don't think anybody thinks they pray enough. But when I get answers in ways I could never imagine I get so built up spiritually and realize how much He loves me that i don't want to miss being in His presence.
    My prayer today is that our church will experience that thrill of knowing how much God loves us as He hears and answers our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree pastor Dale ... sometimes the smallest amount of desperate faithful hopeful words is all that is needed when we cling to his garment asking for the amazing.

    ReplyDelete