Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Making a List

Well, we've made it past day 1.  Only 20 more to go!  Today I want to ask you, "Why are you fasting?"  If your answer is because Pastor Dale asked me to, that's the wrong answer.  When we enter a fast, there needs to be a purpose behind it. Fasting always kills our flesh and revives the spirit. But, when we do an extended fast, like our Daniel Fast, we need to have a greater purpose.

Fasting should be a part of our regular spiritual discipline.  I usually fast a few meals each week, especially on my sermon prep days.  But this is different.  There is a greater purpose behind the Daniel Fast. This fast sets the stage for us for the rest of the year.  This fast is the one when we call out to God for the "big things".  Twenty-one days is a long time and it does get God's attention.  So, let's get specific as we fast.

I always develop a list of things to pray for during the Daniel Fast.  I usually start out with some type of list and then add to it as I go through the fast.  At the end of the Daniel Fast, I have created a list that I continue to pray for throughout the year.  All of us have certain areas in our lives where we need to see some real breakthrough.  Maybe it's a habit you can't break or a relationship that seems lost.  Maybe it's a desire to hear God more or feel closer to Him.  When I do the Daniel Fast, I go to God with the big things, those answers to prayer that have eluded me.  That special desire of the heart. That one area of my life that needs a real miracle.

But we also need to be careful to not make our prayer life all about us.  Somewhere in your Daniel Fast prayer list, you need to list the needs of others.  I have one request that has been on my Daniel Fast prayer list for three years. (and it's on  this year too)  It is a request, not for me, but for someone else in the body.  I see the anguish of my friends and I join them in fasting and praying for their miracle.  I also send a lot of prayers for the church. I pray for fresh vision, greater anointing and changed lives.  I also make sure I add prayers that the lost would come to Christ  (I always come up with a number and ask God specifically to add a certain amount of people to the kingdom)

So, I encourage you to make your list.  Put some hard things on your list. Put the things that concern you the most, those secret desires of your heart.  But, make sure you put things on your list that are not about you, but about others.  As you go through the Daniel Fast, faithfully pray through your list, but then keep on praying.  I am praying that this is the year I get to mark off my one special request for my friend as answered prayer.  That will be a glorious day!

Keep on fastin'!

PD

5 comments:

  1. I am fasting for several reasons.

    To be a part of corporate prayer and fasting for our church.

    I am fasting for health reasons for my spouse.

    I am fasting for a closer walk with God. I want all that He has for me.

    I am fasting for the spiritual growth of my grandchildren.

    I am fasting and praying for unsaved family and friends.

    I am fasting for the health of many close to me.

    I keep adding to my list daily. These are only a few reasons.

    May all of you particapating be strengthened physically and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my days go on, my list continues to grow but here are a few reasons for my fast...

    For our church leadership, members and our visitors.

    For our 7 prayer points

    For family and friends - lost, confused, wandering.

    For saved family members to grow deeper in their relationship with Christ.

    For a friend who is struggling.

    For my husband - with thanks and praise!!


    For discernment of God's will for me.
    I pray that I can boldly step out each time God calls me to action, without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good list Sheri. I am adding a few of yours to mine.

      Delete
  3. I find that my list grows too and it becomes easy to occupy a day in prayer. Pray without ceasing has a whole new meaning each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing woman of God! I found all of your prayers beneficial to impact society with light, love & salt! However, your last prayer point moved me to my vert soul! Discernment is so valuable, it was the favor King Solomon humbly requested from God, the world was at his fingertips...He considered a discerning heart, mind & spirit more cherished, appropriated and relevant to the job God bestowed upon him.
    Your second point to go BOLDLY into the world to do what Christ asks of you...WOW, I am adding that to my prayer list for you to be granted this profound desire. Also, I plan to take it another step & pray God grants these AMAZING gifts on all of His children!
    Thank You So Much Sheri!

    ReplyDelete