Thursday, January 17, 2019

Do You Know What Day It Is?

It's hump day! You are officially past the half way point. I want to encourage you to stay the course and finish.  The word has a lot to say about finishing well but as you read through the Bible, you won't find a lot of people who actually did! One of my constant prayers is that I finish well. When we look at our heroes of the faith, all those Sunday School lessons you heard, very few of them finished well.  Why is that?

I read a great book years ago that still sticks with me today, The Making of A Leader - Frank DiMazio.  In his book, he describes 17 or 18 tests that every leader goes through.  I believe they are tests that every believer goes through.  But the last test, is the test of promotion. Have you noticed that few ministers fail in the early years of their ministry.  They fail when they are at the pinnacle. One of the reason they fall is because they fail to recognize that success is a test.  They look at their success as a reward for their hard labors and years of toil. And because they let up on the gas pedal, or let down their guard, the enemy comes in to steal, kill or destroy a church, a leader or a legacy.

We can never coast in any relationship, human or divine. You might be able to coast a long way, but the minute you start to coast, you're slowing down! In our walk with God we must always pursue Him.  We must keep our foot on the spiritual throttle of our lives. The classic example of a great finisher is Paul.  When you read his writings you see his drive to finish well.  Phil. 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Heb. 12:1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus. And his most famous verse, 2 Tim. 4:7-8, I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day.

I remember the faithful words of a friend years ago.  I was probably in my early 30's and my friend told me, "I don't see the same spiritual drive in you I used to."  Well, of course I defended myself.  I was going to church every week, still serving, still trusting in God.  But deep down, I knew he was right.  I had eased off the gas pedal just a little.  The Bible says we are to spur one another.  You need it. I need it! Let's finish this Daniel Fast well.  And then move on to the next challenge and finish that well.  Let's finish conversation we left unsaid.  Let's finish forgiving the one who wounded us.  Let's finish reading through the Bible.  Let's enter into heaven to hear those words, "Well done, good and faithful servant!

Pastor Dale 



4 comments:

  1. Amen! Let's press on towards the prize! Let's finish with God as our Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finish will anda finish strong! I've been doing the Daniel Fast for 5 years now, and I remember that first year thinking of how weak I was going to be at the end.

    Well, I felt lead to do 40 days instead of 21 that year and I came out stronger than when I went in, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

    Each year, I gain something new from the Fast that I carry on into my every day Life.

    My prayer for our church is that we all finish strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I just realized it's been 7 years!! Lol

      Delete
  3. Praying that as a church we finish strong and many prayers are answered.

    ReplyDelete